Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Favorite Firefox Add-ons and Extensions

These aren't in any particular order, but I wanted to share the main Firefox Add-ons that I use, and ask readers what they like/use.

Fast Dial- Visual bookmarks. This is my start page. It provides thumbnails of the sites that I visit most. You can vary the number it displays. I use 12, but the more you do, the smaller the thumbnail, and the less recognizable it is. I believe the default is 9 images. Great app.

Ghostery - Watches sites that are watching you. Ghostery alerts you when visit a site that has bugs on it (which can be hidden scripts that track your behavior)

Total Validator - Validates code from within the browser.

Greasemonkey - Allows you to customize sites using short javascript snippets. Better still, it allows you to use scripts others have written for specific sites. The script authors are usually not the site owners. So you might get additional functionality for CraigsList or Amazon, that the owner's didn't think of, or perhaps wouldn't be in their best interest, but might be very helpful to consumers.

Firebug - Integrates with Firefox to edit, debug, and monitor CSS, HTML, and Javascript live in any web page.

ColorZilla - Gives you hex colors via an eyedropper. Helps with matching colors easily.

You must be thinking "Whoa! 2 posts in one day, after a long drought!" Right? I know. I'm thinking the same thing. I'm back on this horse and plan to be a more-consistent poster. Whether I'll succeed, we'll see.