Tuesday, May 19, 2009

How is the Writing on Your Site?

I was just looking at a Steve Krug interview (Steve's book "Don't Make Me Think" is a must have. If you haven't read it, get it out of the library, or pick it up at the bookstore. He has a terrific no-nonsense approach to web design) and he mentioned a book called "Hot Text", about writing for the web. I plan to read the book as soon as I can get my hands on it! I did read reviews of the book and checked out the authors' site (www.webwritingthatworks.com). The similarities that I see already are a simple approach, and striving for clarity, and I can see why Steve is aligning with these authors (Jonathan and Lisa Price.) They share the common theme. And it works to eliminate extras, and streamline the message and give users the best possible chance to "get" what you're putting out there.

This book appeals to me as a UE designer because it has the common goal of putting the user first and good writing streamlines just as good design does. But it appeals to me on another level as well. My parents, before retirement were both writers; an English Professor and a Magazine/Newspaper Writer, so I was constantly reminded about the importance of good writing. And some of it actually sunk in. :)
I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, trying to say that I am a good writer. What I am saying, is that I recognize good writing and I value it.
Check out the site and the book. They both have great tips and ideas of ways to improve your writing. Enjoy!